Jan 5, 2011

What is the price tag for a gaming community?

I've been a bit slack on following the Street Fighter 4 community the last couple weeks given the holidays and all, so I was shocked tonight to see that one of the new owners of www.streetfighter4forums.com was auctioning it away to the highest bidder. Reason was I'm told a sick mother who needs surgery. Its very hard to get any info at this point since most topics discussing the auction have been deleted.  (I totally 100% agree with the recent surveys that show a big decline in global democracy over the last few years) We're taking big steps back in terms of development.

But it hasn't even gotten interesting yet:

A forum user at said forum put in a pretty hefty bid to preserve the community, only to see the flippa.com auction closed a brief moment after the bid was placed. I've seen screen prints of another user saying he is getting the site and intends to monetize it, most probably selling the domain for a blog. Meanwhile the auction holder has claimed he was hacked, and I can't find out at this point what that means. He wasn't the one selling the site, for the sake of his sick mother ? (And this is where I have to add, hate to say it but I have big reservations against believing this story. We're on the internet, after all.)

I've been sent some juicy screen prints that confirm what I've stated so far (not my speculations). Another speculation is that once the owner saw he would never get the kind of bid he wanted for the site ($10k) he created false accounts that as beforementioned said they were getting the site and selling it as a blog. (as a sidenote, what kind of blog would be worth that kind of money out of the blue?)

Such drama. I'd love this if it wasn't for the fact my favourite fighting game community's survival depends on the outcome.

This was a lot of typing for what I wanted to ask when I set the topic though. How much do you reckon a gaming community is worth ? I don't have the numbers, but I've been a member more or less since the start and I reckon the site has around 3000 members, with 300-500 returning users on a weekly basis. For some reason the site isn't google indexed at the moment, but when it was it generated a LOT of traffic as well.  Is it worth $10k ?

No comments: